A letter to J.K Rowling

Dear J.K Rowling,

One word that describes me is lonely. I have friends at school, but at home, I have no one. I live with my mom and I am the only child. I only have to care for me and my mom. Occasionally I would help and support my friends, but that’s all. I have sacrificed little things but never really understood what self sacrifice meant. After I read your books it all came together like an answer for a brain teaser I’ve been trying to solve for years.

In the famous Harry Potter series, Harry risks his life for his loved ones. He doesn’t hesitate to put himself in mortal danger for those who are helpless. This is the kind of person I want to be. Of course, there would be no situation where I have to put myself in harm’s way. However I would like to be thoughtful enough to sacrifice bigger things than a bowl of ice cream or a piece of candy.

Self sacrifice is a mixture of bravery and generosity. Bravery comes in when you have to get yourself in trouble for someone else. Generosity comes in when you have to think about someone other than yourself. Self sacrifice can mend even the weakest friendships. I used to think that sacrifice brought you no gain. Reading your book told me just how wrong I was.

Sacrifice strengthens friendships. Sacrifice can turn enemies into friends. This is what I learned from Harry Potter. After I finished the series I’ve been trying to be less self conscious and think about other people. My friends and family have noticed the difference. And so have I.

Harry Potter has taught me a lot of things. Bravery, love, innocence, and trust. But self sacrifice has influenced me the most. Self sacrifice has a power that some of us haven’t yet discovered. Sacrifice helps others as much as it helps you. Harry Potter is the most influential book I’ve read. It taught me a very important lesson: sacrifice.

Sincerely,

Rohila


Mom’s Note: Rohi was one of the finalists from Texas in the literature essay contest for this letter that she wrote addressing J.K Rowling. I wish her good luck and bless her to win many more awards like these J

Comments

  1. Excellent Rohi... Keep it up.. I see a future Best Seller Author...

    cheers,
    Sai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work, Rohi!! Hope you win the award..best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murali Krishna Raju(Mamu)January 23, 2013 at 2:24 AM

    I am proud of you Rohi..........Keep up the good work and wishing you all the success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts