Beginning Dance!

"Is she nice?" I asked uncertainly. "Oh don't worry it's just the first day!" my mom snapped. It was at hot summer afternoon and the last thing I wanted to do was effect the rest of my life taking dance lessons. Especially with a new teacher. Regardless I opened the door.

"Come, come", she said as we shuffled in. The room had chestnut wooden floors and yellow walls. Our teacher and a parent sat on mats. She made me and the other two girls say hello to each other. Their names were Bethany and Daniel.

First she taught us a prayer that you don't sing but dance. Took me a couple of tries to get it. Then she taught us warm ups where you stamp your feet in a couple of different rythms and bend, lift, stomp. Then she taught us two simple steps that use both hands and feet.

After the tiresome hour my heart was pounding, my breath was fast and there was a puddle of sweat beneath my feet. As a finish we did the prayer, took notes on what we learned. And finally limped through the door saying "Bye!" with mouthfuls of sweat.

"This is going to have a big change on my weekends", I pondered. My weekends were going to be tiring. But I didn't want to give up easily. I wiped the sweaty hair out of my face as we headed back to our car. After I thought about it, it didn't seem that bad and all I could do was hope for the best!


- By Rohi (August 2009, turned 10 years!)

Comments

Popular Posts